Hiring the Best
This workshop outlines a structured process for hiring the best candidate for the position. At the conclusion of this session, participants will be able to:
- Review and understand the formal approval process.
- Utilize a hiring flowchart as a resource for completing the hiring process.
- Analyze a job to identify minimum technical and performance skills.
- Prepare applicant selection criteria for the skills identified in the job analysis.
- Write interview questions that are legal and focus on behavior relevant to applicant qualifications.
- Screen applicants for interview.
- Conduct an employment interview using prepared interview questions.
- Analyze pre-employment assessment results.
- Select the most qualified candidate for the position based on information obtained during an employment interview and from references.
- Make a job offer that is not an implied employment contract.
Hiring the Best Part 2: From the Offer Letter to Your Door
This is the second part of the Hiring the Best series, focused on making the new hire’s first day a positive, memorable experience. At the conclusion of this session, participants will be able to:
- Ensure that the new hire will have the appropriate resources to be successful, such as space, computer access, supplies, telephone, security clearances, and other documentation.
- Describe elements of an effective orientation program.
- Develop a departmental training plan.