CIVS performs applied research projects with university faculty, industry and other partners. The Center has a variety of resources available and is able to collaborate on projects in many opportunities and many ways.
What does CIVS offer?
• Writing joint proposals as Principle investigator (PI), Co-PI, and participant to funding agencies
• Helping with proposal development including developing ideas, identifying collaborators, identifying funding sources, organizing and reviewing proposals, and providing supporting letters, etc.
• Providing resources (such as research assistants and facilities) to Purdue Calumet faculty to develop preliminary results for joint proposal development (one-page proposal is required)
• Conduct funded projects from sponsors
• Offer short-courses, workshops, summer camps, and summer internships
What are CIVS’s expertise?
• Develop interactive virtual learning/training modules and curriculum by combining simulation and visualization based on real phenomena
• Create 3-D interactive video and software for education, planning, marketing, and presentation with multiple platforms incluing immersive virtual environment, mobile, or web in all disciplines.
• Conduct computational simulations and data visualization for CFD, FEA, GIS, traffic simulation, logistics, and others in various disciplines
• Provide solutions to real world problems on the issues of energy, environment, productivity, quality, safety, and training
• Develop the application of cutting-edge technologies such as virtual reality, augmented reality, 3D Printing, and motion tracking (Kinect, LeapMotion, and others).
What are CIVS’s Hardware and Software resources?
In addition to facilities and expertise, CIVS also has a variety of hardware and software resources available for applied research.
• 3D Printer: Makerbot Replicator 2X
• Head Mounted Displays (HMD): Google Glass, Oculus Rift, Vuzix VR920
• Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T2i, FujiFilm 3D Camera, Panasonic HC-V700, Sigma fisheye lens (360 degree photos)
• Input Devices: ART TrackPack (Optical Tracking), iPad, Kinect, Leap Motion, OptiTrack (Optical Tracking), Sense 3D Scanner, Wiimote
• Displays: 3D Projection system (portable), 4K Planar High-resolution video wall, Flex CAVE VR System, LG 55” 3D-TV (portable), Vizio 80” 3D-TV, VisBox VR System
Simulation & Software Development:
• Simulations: Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Logistics Modeling
• Interactive: 2-D & 3-D Software, Serious Game Development, Virtual Training
• Visualization: 3-D Flythroughs, Data Visualization, Video Production
• Platforms: PC, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Virtual Reality
High Performance Computing:
• Access to 8.4 TeraFLOP PC Cluster