Student Grants and Awards
Welcome to the Student Grant and Awards page. Here you will find information about students who have won awards for CIVS projects. Click hyperlinks to read more information on the grants or awards and our recipients.
2017 AIST Hunt-Kelly Outstanding Paper Award (AIME) – First Place
- “Investigation of Co-Injection of Natural Gas and Pulverized Coal in a Blast Furnace.”- CIVS Director and Professor Chenn Q. Zhou, graduate student Tyamo Okosun, AK Steel Technical Manager Stuart J. Street, CIVS alumni Yan Chen, Bin Wu, and Jaiqi Zhao.
- Benjamin Nnaji and Rodolfo De La Portilla mentored by Dr. Chenn Zhou – Mechanical and Civil Engineering and CIVS
- Zhoyang Li, Zhoa Liu, Cole Garcia, and Fen Ren mentored by Drs. Chenn Zhou, Chein-Chung Chen, and Masoud Majtahed – Mechanical and Civil Engineering and CIVS
National Science Foundation (NSF) Advanced Technological Education (ATE) program
- “Troubleshooting and Safety Simulator for Wind Turbine Technician Education.”– John Moreland mentored by Chenn Zhou and Emily Hixon.
Don B. Daily Safety Grant
- “Interactive Training for Heavy Mobile Equipment Safety: Targeting Safety Attitudes and Beliefs.”– John Moreland mentored by Chenn Zhou and Michelle Block.
- Bethany Worl
- Sotiri Hovardas
- Dominique Lettiere
- Edwin Perez and Camila Pilo mentored by Chenn Zhou
- Shengnian Yang, Haolun Guo, Rebecca Blair, and Yue Zhang mentored by Chenn Zhou and Bin Chen
- Zhaoyang Li, Zhao Liu, Fei Ren mentored by Chenn Zhou, Chien-Chuo Chen, and Masoud Mojtahed
- Liming Wu, Hanqing Kong, and Haoyu Shi mentored by Chenn Zhou, John Moreland, and Michael Hoerter
- Yuxi Wang, Yi Zhao, and Sixuan Duan mentored by Chenn Zhou, John Moreland, and Michael Hoerter
- Julie Yang and Ruizhe Zhang mentored by Chenn Zhou, John Moreland, and Michael Hoerter
- Wenjie Liu and Chao Wu mentored by Chenn Zhou and Armin Silaen
- Changwei Cheng and Xuan Peng mentored by Chenn Zhou and Guoxu Yin
- Jitao Zhang, Xuyang Liu, and Yushan Jiang mentored by Chenn Zhou and Guoxu Yin
Student Research Day 2016
- 1st Place, Undergraduate Oral Presentation – Yuchao Chen & Huinan Shao – “Design of a Bottom-Blow Basic-Oxygen Furnace”
- 2nd Place, Undergraduate Oral Presentation – Zichao Zhou, Zhiheng Huang, and Yu Du – “Design of a Ball Bearing Replacement Simulator for Wind Turbine”
AISTech 2015 Best Paper Award (Ironmaking)
- Tyamo Okosun, Yan Chen, Jiaqi Zhao – ” Investigation of Co-Injection of Natural Gas and Pulverized Coal in a Blast Furnace“
AIST 2015 Video Competition
- 1st Place – Alrazy Sonet – ” Steel: Backbone of the Universe “
Student Research Day 2015
- 2nd Place, Undergraduate Oral Presentation – Nicole Bandy & Liyuan Gong – ” Evaluation of 3D Printing Design and Process”
- 3rd Place, Undergraduate Oral Presentation – Xiang Liu, Yifan Wang, and Xianrui Wang – ” Design of a Virtual Power Plant Boiler Training Program”
- 3rd Place, Undergraduate Poster – Kaley Young – ” Interactive Cultural Simulation of Munich, Germany”
- 3rd Place, Graduate Poster – Qiuyi Wei, Majed Alhelal, and Matthew Cross – ” Selective Catalytic Reduction Flow Model Analysis”
- Hannah Amor, Stephen Builta and Michael Garcia – Title: “Roughing Mill Vertical Edger And Strip Grade Analysis Using FEA“; mentored by Chenn Zhou
Student Research Day 2014
Graduate – Oral Presentation
- 1st Place: Tenghao Wang, “Development of a Virtual Blast Furnace Training System“.
- 2nd Place: Jichao “Mike” Wang, “Flood Modeling 3D Lab for Civil Engineering Curriculum“.
- 3rd Place (Tie): Tenghao Wang and Yunpeng Chang, “NIPSCO Schahfer FGD Training System“.
Graduate – Poster Presentation
- 3rd Place: Lucas Phillips, “Development of a Reference Tool for Calculated Material Values for Use in PBR“.
Student Research Day 2013
Student Research Day 2012
Student Research Day 2011
- Shiye Hu, Tenghao Wang, Xinwei Zhuang – Title: “Development of Virtual Pollutants Control System in a Power Plant Using Numerical Simulation and Virtual Reality Visualization“; mentored by Chenn Zhou
- Xingjian Chen, Jiabao Liu, Qingyuan Liu – Title: “Virtual Model for the Demonstration of Flow Characteristics of the Condensate and Feed Water System in a Power Plant”; mentored by Chenn Zhou
- Tianwei Wang – Title: “Experimental Study and Numerical Simulation of Liquid Level in the Blast Furnace Hearth“; mentored by Chenn Zhou