About the Center
To coordinate the professional development of teachers, the creation of instructional materials and curriculum, and the concentration of research toward improving the quality of mathematics teaching and learning in the Calumet Region and beyond at all levels, PreK-16.
Center Location and Leadership
The Center for Mathematics Teaching and Learning will be housed in the Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science. It’s initial director will be Professor Diana Underwood. The term of the director is three years. The charge of the director is to:
- Oversee the day to day operations of the center.
- Oversee, in consultation with the department head, the budget of the center.
- Assist in identifying new center initiatives and projects, and new grant opportunities.
The department head of MCSS and the faculty that directly support the center’s activities shall constitute the Center for Mathematics Teaching and Learning Committee. This committee is responsible for electing the director at the end of the director’s term.
The PCCMTL will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Are the PCCMTL activities appropriately meeting the needs of institutions with regards to mathematics education?
- Is the PCCMTL promoting mathematics education scholarship
- Is the PCCMTL financially self supporting?
An advisory panel composed of the head of MCSS, the Dean of EMS, a faculty member from the School of Education, a public school teacher (or math curriculum director) and a faculty member in mathematics education from another university in the greater Calumet region will meet annually with the PCCMTL director to provide feedback regarding the activities of the center.