The goals of the center include:
- Becoming a focal point for continued development of techniques, expertise, and products that optimize the value, quality, and reliability of energy and related processes for both existing and future uses
- Developing new energy options including advanced Combined Heat and Power Systems (these have the potential to double the current conventional energy conversion efficiency)
- Advanced energy storage options either alone or integrated with renewable energy system technology
- Advanced electric control systems that increase reliability and reduce power outages of electric transmission and distribution
- Biological energy production systems
- New approaches to use coal for industrial purposes that are clean and drastically reduce environmental impact
- Modern lighting system design optimization and testing for LEDs as well as other developing new technologies
- Development of analytic tools, devices, and process that increase energy value
- Provide education regarding improved energy utilization and help create related career opportunities
- Assure energy information is made generally available.
Why Should I Be Concerned?
Energy is the life blood of industrial and business processes as well as almost all of the activities we individually perform each day in one way or another. As the need for energy increases we need to assure that the energy that we need for our daily lives will be available and of acceptable reliability and quality. One of the best ways to do this is to increase the efficiency of energy use as well as developing new ways to produce and use energy. It is obvious that to meet future needs it is essential that energy be used in the most efficient and effective way especially given increased environmental concerns such as Climate Change. The Energy Efficiency and Reliability Center conducts research, developmental, and educational activities that increase the value, quality and reliability of both existing and new energy resources and processes.
How can I get assistance?
The Center stands ready to help improve the efficiency, reliability and value of energy that is purchased and/or produced. By improving energy efficiency you save money as well as reducing the dependence on foreign energy sources such as imported oil. You also reduce air emissions since less fuel is needed to produce the same amount of usable energy.
Please contact the Purdue Northwest Energy Efficiency and Reliability Center if we can help you on your way to gaining the benefits of using energy more efficiently with improved reliability.