Purdue Northwest offers placement in English, math and foreign languages (Spanish, French and German).
- English placement must be taken in one of our Testing Services Centers on our Hammond and Westville Campuses. Please report to your chosen Testing Center with picture identification and your Purdue University ID number.
- Math placement can be completed online using the ALEKS link in the MyPNW portal, Newly Admitted tab. Math placement testing is required for students who need or want to take a math course.
- Foreign Language placement is required for all students who need or want to take a foreign language course. Placement for Spanish, German and French can be completed online using the WebCAPE link in the MyPNW portal, Newly Admitted or Registration tabs. Placement for Japanese can be completed in the Testing Services Centers at Hammond or Westville.
Necessary placement tests should be completed prior to New Student Orientation to ensure correct placement for math or foreign language.
How to Plan for Your Test
English placement at the Testing Services Center:
- Tests are administered in Lawshe 118 (Hammond Campus) and LSF 204 (Westville Campus).
- Tests are available on a walk-in basis; you do not need to make an appointment.
- Contact the Testing Services Center if you have any questions.
- Retest for English placement test is allowed ONLY by signed authorization from department head.
- Foreign language placement can be completed one time only for each language.
The ALEKS PPL exam is a tool for student placement into an appropriate mathematics course. It is:
- not intended as, nor can it be used as, a tool to earn course credit.
- not used to “test out” of a math class.
It is, therefore, the policy of the Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science that:
- students who place into and attend a math class for 2 weeks must complete that math class before enrolling in a higher level math class.
- retaking the ALEKS PPL after the 2nd week of class to alter a student’s placement is not allowed.
The ALEKS exam allows the student to take the test 3 times. After the 1st attempt, if a student scores more than 25 points higher than any previous attempt:
- that subsequent score cannot be used for placement.
- the student must then retest in a PNW proctored environment.
A student may purchase a second set of the ALEKS PPL placement exam ONLY with the approval of the Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science.
- Student’s test score will determine placement. WebCAPE cannot be taken once a student has registered for and attended two weeks of a foreign language course.
- Student is then required to take and successfully pass a higher-level course in the same language.
- Upon completion, student must contact the Foreign Languages Department located in CLO 313 or via telephone at (219) 989-2632 in order for the credits to be applied.
“Reasonable accommodations” are available (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act). Students should contact the Office of Disability Services to make proper arrangements: (219) 989-2455 or email@example.com.
Testing Services Center – Hammond Campus
Lawshe Hall, Room 118
Testing Services Center – Westville Campus
Library Student Faculty Building, Room 204